Valentine's Day

>> Saturday, February 18, 2012

Valentine's Day isn't my favorite holiday.  Besides the fact that I feel that we've JUST gotten things back to normal after Christmas, I do sort of view it as a manufactured holiday.  David and I sometimes get each other a card, but instead of a gift we try to just plan to do something together.  One year (2003) we bought our first house in FL and we closed on Valentine's Day--so that was a memorable one.  But usually we just cook a great meal at home, set the table with our fancy china, and call it a day.

This year I had no real plans to do anything special.  I didn't even put up a single decoration.  Then, the night before the 14th I started feeling a little bad.  I guess because Anderson is getting older...it makes me want to do all the cutesy stuff that he probably won't have the patience for much longer.  So, off I went in search of any and all things heart-shaped!  I bought Anderson a few little surprises at the toy store (along with a super cool Star Wars gift bag), I got flowers and a balloon at the grocery store, and I zipped to Jo-Ann's and Pier 1 to raid their sale racks and found some cute garland made out of hearts and a few other decorations (already on sale, too!) to complete my mission.  When I got home and was looking for my crystal vase to put the flowers in I came across a heart-shaped cake pan that David and Anderson bought to make me a cake a few years ago!  It was a sign, so I quickly got to work baking a Valentine's Day cake.  

On Valentine's Day morning Anderson came down the stairs and into the kitchen where we had decorated and he was SO excited.  So, even though it was pretty much thrown together at the last minute, and even though I normally don't really love this holiday, I was so glad we'd put the effort into making it special for him.  I also love that he calls it "Valentime's Day" (with an M instead of an N). 



In a related story, Anderson asked David to take him shopping to get me something for Valentine's Day.  David said that Anderson wanted to go to Target, and once inside he knew right where to go to find me the perfect gift.  Anderson has an amazing memory.  He remembers things I've said years after I've said them.  So, apparently at some point in the past few months or years at Target I admired a 3-tier fruit basket, and that was what he wanted to get me!  I don't really remember liking this particular basket, but now that I have one in my house picked out for me by the most amazing little boy in the world--I love it! 

Happy Valentine's Day!!

1 comments:

Anonymous,  February 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM  

Love it! I spent Valentine's Eve making garland and hanging hearts in our dining room, too!!

I feel the same compulsion to do the cute stuff as long as they will let me get away with it, since I know it won't be much longer. Sigh.

Post a Comment