How the time flies!

>> Tuesday, May 28, 2013

It's funny, I really do enjoy blogging.  I'm just not very good at it.  My last post was in November! 

Well, in a quick recap--the Uhl family moved again.  But since most of my posts have had to do with moving I will keep this one short and sweet.  The owners of the house we were renting (and had a 3 year lease with, I might add) decided to sell their house.  The new owners actually wanted to LIVE in their new home, so we had to move out.  Scrambling to find an acceptable long-term rental in a hot rental market at the very beginning of the tourist season--not the most fun I've ever had, but we did find another house and we are very happy here.  We also have it in writing that our new landlords have NO plans to sell this house in the next 2 years.  After that we will be moving again....gah! 

I will say, however, that this experience has taught me a few things.  Things I used to say to myself all the time, thinking that I really believed them, but now I really can embrace them:

1.  Home is where the heart is. 
I remember looking for houses 6 years ago when we moved from FL to NY.  I swear we must've looked at 75 homes.  Looking for that PERFECT house.  The right floor plan, the best yard, the most updated kitchen, the best neighborhood.  The details STRESSED me out!  Well, let me tell you.  After moving around as much as we have the past 3 years (3 states, 4 houses), the house you make your home can be the perfect place if it has the people you love living in it with you.  I'm living in a house that is not at all one I would have bought 6 years ago.  It doesn't have an updated kitchen.  I wish it had more bedrooms.  It's not in the perfect neighborhood.  But I love it and am completely happy here.  Anderson and David are happy.  I've learned to let go of all those expectations that I had and just learned to go with the housing flow.  We are home. 

2.  You have to learn to roll with it. 
I've said it in the past, but really, never have I had to really roll with it as much as we did this year.  I've never before had to deal with our housing being out of our control and having no choice in the decision to move.  Sure, we get transferred.  But...we know it's coming, we have a tiny say in where we end up, and we know months in advance.  This time we had weeks at best.  And in the past this would have freaked me out.  But there was a strange sense of calm that came over me.  And I rolled with it.  And it's all good. 






So, with the move behind us we are now looking forward to a fun-filled summer!  We have already been enjoying the different beaches--we go almost every weekend, even if we have to bundle up! 

This summer is going to be different for us than most of our previous summers.  For starters, David is technically on-duty all summer and can't take any time off.  Normally we're running all over the place with camping trips, trips to FL, trips to visit family, etc.  Since David can't really go anywhere and we are living in one of the top vacation destinations anyway, we decided to stay put and really enjoy Cape Cod this summer.  I want to become a true Cape Codder this summer.  So that's the plan.  (We do have a *couple* of things planned, but it's nowhere near what we normally do). 

In addition to deciding to stay put, we have decided to become a host family for the Cape Cod Baseball League!  The Cape Cod Baseball League (CCBL) is the premier league in the US for hopeful college players who are aiming to get into the Major Leagues.  A lot of MLB players played in the CCBL when they were in college.  So they come here from all over the country after their college season is over, they play baseball all summer, and they hope to catch the eye of the MLB scouts who are here looking for talent to sign.  Each Cape Cod town has its own team, and they play each other all summer long--44 games!  In addition they have to take care of the field and have a part time job.  Each player lives with a host family--which is where we come in!  We've decided to open our home to a player for 10 weeks this summer and we are very excited about it! 






So...that's my update for now.  Hopefully I can make this a more regular occurrence. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment