New Beginnings
>> Thursday, October 7, 2010
So...just 10 minutes ago I started this blog. New beginning. I've never blogged before. The reason I've decided to join the world of blogging is that the Uhl family has some pretty big changes coming up I thought it would be helpful (to me) to document these changes. I also thought it would be helpful to others (our friends and family) to stay connected to us as these changes take place.
We are moving. Major new beginning. To make a LONG story very short, David has taken a new job with the US Coast Guard and he is going to be stationed in Cleveland, OH for the next 2-3 years. About a year ago when we started thinking about David applying for this job I NEVER thought we'd end up in Cleveland. I am very sad to leave home. With the exception of my years in college and the 6 years we lived in Panama City, FL this has been HOME to us. Literally...I grew up in the house we are now selling. And the older Anderson is getting, the more activities he's involved in, the more I am feeling connected in our town and it will be that much harder to pull up our little roots and move to a new city. However, in the long run this will be a good move for our family. David was not super happy at his old job, we didn't see him much as he worked long hours, and if there was a big project due we didn't see him at all. His new job is lower stress, more time off, and he seems to really like it.
David started his new job in July, which means that Anderson and I have been living in New York by ourselves for the past 3+ months. It's been very hard to be apart. I have decided that single parents have the hardest job in the world! We've had our house on the market since April and just yesterday received a signed contract. The buyers want to be in
ASAP--November 1st! So the next 3 weeks are going to be nuts. I have to tell friends and family that we're moving. Heck, I have to tell Anderson that we're moving! (He is looking forward to it, though...he wants to be with Daddy again so they can play Star Wars ALL THE TIME. I'm apparently not the best playmate when it comes to both sides of the Force.) We have to coordinate our move. (Yes, we're hiring movers). I have to wrap up all of our activities here, squeeze in some last minute doctor/dentist appointments, prepare Anderson for leaving school, tell MY job that I'm moving, say goodbye to everyone and everything that has been our life up to this point. And, in the middle of all of that, Anderson's birthday is looming and I am determined to make it a happy event even though we'll be leaving a few days afterward. Thankfully, since David is already in Cleveland he's found us a rental home and has signed the lease. The fact that I have never laid eyes on this house that we'll be living in for the next 2-3 years is probably going to be the subject of a future blogging entry.
ASAP--November 1st! So the next 3 weeks are going to be nuts. I have to tell friends and family that we're moving. Heck, I have to tell Anderson that we're moving! (He is looking forward to it, though...he wants to be with Daddy again so they can play Star Wars ALL THE TIME. I'm apparently not the best playmate when it comes to both sides of the Force.) We have to coordinate our move. (Yes, we're hiring movers). I have to wrap up all of our activities here, squeeze in some last minute doctor/dentist appointments, prepare Anderson for leaving school, tell MY job that I'm moving, say goodbye to everyone and everything that has been our life up to this point. And, in the middle of all of that, Anderson's birthday is looming and I am determined to make it a happy event even though we'll be leaving a few days afterward. Thankfully, since David is already in Cleveland he's found us a rental home and has signed the lease. The fact that I have never laid eyes on this house that we'll be living in for the next 2-3 years is probably going to be the subject of a future blogging entry.
I am feeling very overwhelmed at this point. Which is one of the main reasons I wanted to start this blog--to help me sort through the crazy events that will be happening in the next weeks, months, years. I get frazzled pretty easily so I am afraid that this time will just fly by and all I will remember is the chaos. I check my email many times during the course of the day, even when I am super busy, so I figured I can carve out some time to blog. And I really hope that our friends and family here in NY will follow our journey...maybe we won't feel so far away!
**This was taken in the spring when the flowering crab apple trees were in bloom (my favorite!)...my rock garden was NOT in tip-top shape yet. But I wanted to post a picture of my home...we will miss it!**
4 comments:
I get to be your very first blog comment! Yay for starting your own blog! I love it when my friends start a blog and I get a new blog to read. Wow! You guys have so much going on and a lot of change ahead of you. I look forward to hearing all about it. I know it will be hard and sad to move. You have some deep roots there in NY. I pray everything goes well for you and that new and exciting adventures await you in Cleveland.
So many emotions, so little time. <3
cathy - i can completely relate to the insanity you are feeling right now. We were in a similar boat, we moved sold our house in Ravena when I was 6 months pregnant with the twins and moved into an apartment until we found a house. Of course about 2 weeks later, I was put on bedrest and then hospitalized bedrest and when on bedrest we found a house that we loved and couldn't pass up.. so I did all the negoitating from a hospital bed. Twins were born, and were in NICu for two weeks and they were to come home (to the apartment) EXCEPT bees had taken over the apartment, so off to a hotel the entire family went with the twins and the next morning we closed on our new house and moved into our new house the next day. You will look back and laugh that you made it through the craziness and this blog will help you (mentally) and help all of us keep up with you all. Best wishes to you all and at least you will ALL be together again.
I haven't had a chance to read yet took me yesterday and today to try to join the blog. Great idea! Sad to see you go :( New beginings are alway nice!
Post a Comment